Topic Title: depression from pain
Created On: 01/03/2003 12:40 PM

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 Previous ]
View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

08/29/2003 10:52 AM

Author Icon
Nikki21688

I'm new here, but I wanted to comment, and also have the ability to vent some of my own problems. You said at the end of your post, "don't do anything stupid when you're old". I believe you are only 44, and I don't consider that old! I am 39, but I feel old these days! I've had two surgeries this year. A debridgement in Feb. and a lateral release in May. I felt so good for the 1st 7 weeks after my LR, but now, I have the same symptoms as before the LR. I was so happy to get the LR done. But now, I am so regretting it. It cost me my job and I'm starting to get more depressed. The main reason I had it done was to save my job. I think the reason my LR has failed is because I wasn't able to recover like my OS had requested. I was so loyal to my employers, but they treated me horribly. I had to go into work during my recovery, of which, I had 5 weeks paid sick leave. I'd get voice mails from the owner, stating that the printer was broken and I was to hobble in to fix it. I don't even know why I'm discussing this in this forum. I too have pain, day and night. I don't sleep. Every time I roll over, I am awoke. I too live in a two-story home, one bathroom, of course, up stairs. I am terrified of going down stairs, mostly because of my instability. I have been in PT since 11/02, but my quads are shot. I now have a muscle stimulator to hopefully jomp-start them. I've tried the Vioxx, the Celebrex, the Advil. None of them help. I see my OS again on Sept. 8th. I am going to ask him for a pen. At which time, I am going to draw a line above my knee. That will indicate where he can cut it off unless I'm given some good drugs! At least so I can sleep! I don't understand why they don't prescribe more narcotics. It's not like we're 16 year old kids just wanting it for the enjoyment! We are mature adults, who want to make it through the days, when the pain just won't stop. Do they not understand that our pain affects every aspect of our lives? So sorry to vent so badly here, guys. So sorry.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 08/16/2003 09:53 PM

Author Icon
Ronnie24

hey i know what u going through am just 20yrs old and have a massive knee operation last yr on my right knee, my left knee now is showin signs like my first knee. its overwhelming for me right now as my life has been altered greatly because of it, things i use to do i can't do no more cause of the pain, my right knee is still recoverig from the surgery. if anyone out had this same problem i would love to hear from u as its hard right now going through something this at such a young age.
 07/22/2003 05:39 PM

Author Icon
jvalart

I see its been a few months since you last been here.( Febuary) How are you doing now? Are you still doing your excerises? What pain level are you at? I have to say I do feel for you, and I know what you have been through and what you will go through as time passes. I just turn 40. My first surgery was in 1992 (I wasn't even 30 yet) I had a tumor removed from my right knee. Since then I have had a total of 7 sugeries. I also had the fulkerson on both my knees. Also bone graphing to both. And the whole time I raised a son on my own, and REALLY had to push myself to get out of bed. The pain is so so bad, but life goes on and you can't let it over come you! I was in P.T. for one year stright, and worked a full time job. I did miss work when I had my surgeries. But the longest I was out of work at one time was 5 months. I just had cortizone shots (both knees) on July 18 ,2003. rested over the weekend and to work I went! Its mind over pain and you do get very use to pain. I get these shots every 3 to 6 months. Anyway I do understand and I'm so sorry for your pain, but hang in there! Do what I do, take one day at a time and NEVER say you can't do something, think positive! If you want to talk e-mail me anytime!!!
 06/29/2003 05:47 PM

Author Icon
talbec2

Hi there, I tore my ACL while catching my Horse. May 5th 2003. CRACK'E is all I heard.and puff went my knee. I know how you feel being layed up and depressed. I'm a single parent with a 11 yr old and an 19yr, and a small farm. I have had to take a leave of absence from work as I'm also an Aircraft Mech. trust me! You sure can't be that when you've torn up your knee! so It is very hard for me to be down and out with this kind of an injury. Geeze. But we are making it. It took em almost a month (Insurance Problems at first) to be able to discover exacty was going on inside my puffed up knee. I tore the Acl and the M word Cartilige. but I have had the surgery done to replace it with a donor lig. just what on the 19 of June. ouie's hurt like anything but it's getting better now. You know you just have to do what you have to do. Set your mind and think things out step by step and just keep going. My Dr. J is a fantastic Dr.
 04/30/2003 05:52 AM

Author Icon
brian_c73

The infection is horrid. I had that and was undiagnosed for months and myknee is now shot and I'm looking for options Brian
 03/01/2003 09:59 PM

Author Icon
stewarti

I had a left ACL reconstruction at age 37 from a dirt bike accident at age 29. After the surgery my knee got infected or maybe I cranked up the CPM machine too much too soon and irritated the knee and they had to do another immediate surgery. The rehab too a long time. It felt pretty good at 4 months, but it took 18 months before I stopped thinking about it all the time. I surfed about a 1000 times on the repaired knee. I am now 44 and tore the right PCL trying to roller skate Dec 12, 2002 at the kid's Xmas party. Jan 16, 2003 I think I completely tore it surfing - lots of pain. The MRI shows a complete tear. The ACL is ok. My leg is loose and a little weak. I can walk ok and not much pain. The doctor say only 1 in 5 get the PLC repaired as the ACL stabilizes the knee. He can't believe that I tore it roller skating, must have been a previous trama? I am now worried I might tweek the ACL. I have been walking and bicycling, but I really want to go surfing. I am afraid to try and surf as I can ony jog slowly and can't cut. I was very, very depressed the last three days trying to come to terms with this. Depression is a horrible thing. Today I feel better. The last surgery and recovery were very scarry and tramatic. I lay awake now at night and think about the last surgery and if and when I might have another. If I have another I will know what to expect. I didn't sleep much the first 5 weeks and used the ice machine continually. The first day back at work was 33 days after the first surgery (I got infected and had a second surgery 4 days after the first). I remember I couldn't think very clearly either - drugs and lack of sleep. This is wierd, but when I think about the last surgery I remember smells from the hospital - very scary. I will rehab my knee and then get a brace fitted and see if I can surf. If I can't surf or the knee causes me pain the I will get physed up and have surgery. The first month is hell and then it's just a very slow rehab and I'll be surfing in a year. I was in rehab Fri and there was a 60 year old women that just had both total knees done. I'll probably be there in 20 yrs. I feel better writing this down. Conclusion: Don't do anything stupid when you get older!
 02/17/2003 08:13 PM

Author Icon
Kristine

I'm into my first month of recovery after a Fulkerson's procedure on my left knee. This is my 3rd knee surgery. 1st one was my right knee (lateral release) in january of 2000 and then my right in march of 2000. i was still in college at the time and then found out after graduating and LOTS of physical therapy that I still couldn't work in the career that I had choosen because of the standing and all the pain I had. I lost my job and have been working part-time jobs since. The knee pain in my left knee just kept getting worse. I finally had it worked on last month and of course got laid off right before surgery. So yes I am very depressed to say the least. I can't support myself, it was no ones fault for the knee problem (was born with my femer and tibia not lining up but wasn't discovered until I was 23 years old). I have a degree that doesn't seem to do me much good and I'm in a lot of pain. I'm only 27 years old and have been told by people and doctors that I too young to have so many problems. I know that!! I'm stuck in bed a lot with not much to do living with my parent's again since I have no income what so ever. I'm scared that it after all this hard work and money that again it won't work and again I will still be in a lot of pain and unable to even earn a living and support myself. I don't want to be such a burden and I want to be able to do all the things I dreamed of being able to do when I was in school and told I would be able to do. Fustration, tears, pain, anger and depression has made me feel like I'm being punished for something that isn't even any fault of my own or anyone elses! I just want someone to talk to that understands something of what I'm going through.
 02/11/2003 05:47 PM

Author Icon
nailgirl2

Duh. Sometimes part of dealing with pain and depression is not thinking straight. It's not acupressure I get it's acupunture. Pressure is like a massage, Punture is with the needles. This helps me alot with pain management and it keeps me quite mellow.
 02/11/2003 03:06 PM

Author Icon
nailgirl2

I know your depression quite well. I had a accident which caused me to have chondromalicia to my left knee. PT was slow with results and also caused swelling to the knee cap. Was taking alot of pain relief pills, vioxx, celebrex, ibuprofen, and naproxen. I've tried them all and found the most relief from the naproxen(up to 3 a day). But it only mask the the pain and does not heal, so my worry of long term effect on the rest of my body from these drugs could cause me other health problems. Haven't tryed the synvisc yet, not happy with some of the effects and painful injections. But I've found really good results from accupressure. I'm lucky that my insurance plan covers my sessions. Only a small co-pay fee is required. I've found that it helps with pain management and I've been a bit more active then I have the past year and a half. I get depressed when I can't walk the malls with my family or keep up with their pace. I'm only 46 years old and feel like I'm old before my time. I found that internet shopping helps alot around the holidays. I guess we just can't let it get us down, we just have to find new ways of doing things. I guess Life can always be worse. I think this way so that I don't get down on myself too much. Hang in there and think positive thoughts instead of negative. Good luck.
 02/07/2003 01:12 PM

Author Icon
devilish_angel_5150

I have injured my knee on a couple of occasions, both of which happened on the job, so in addition to having to put up with the pain of the injury itself I've had to deal with workers comp as well. The first time the injury occured I was placed in physical therapy almost immediately, but recovery was slow, an mri was ordered, but never aproved or done, after a couple months of intensive therapy the doctor decided I was ready to be discharged because my pain was about 85% better. Durring this time I had changed jobs twice first to a desk job, got laid off, then became a caregiver. About 5 months after I was discharged I injured my knee again at my new job. I had to go through quite a hassle to get somebody to take responsibility and cover the treatment for the injury, which ended up being my new employer, who I believe holds the least responsibility. After a couple doctor visits and physical therapy appointments an mri was finally ordered and approved and I was found to definitely have a torn miniscus and possibly my acl as well. I was referred to a surgeon which took a month to get an appointment to see and the surgery is another 2 months away. The surgeon said that he is not sure that my acl is torn or injured, although I have the symptomatic pain and instabilty, probably what caused the miniscus tear, so he is opting to leave it alone for now, possibly prolonging the recovery time even more. I'm dealing with several issues here. First if this had been handled right the first time I wouldn't be having all these problems now. Second workers comp is a major pain to deal with. Third is the length of time this is taking; not only am I having to endure the pain for so long, but the real big issue for me is that I'm off work, now this may sound great at first, but really it is quite boring as I'm sure most of you know it's not like I can go out and play all day, I'm quite limited in what I can do and this has caused a great deal of depression, frustration and anxiety for me. Another problem I have is the pain killers the doctor is willing to give me, naproxen and vicoden, these do almost nothing for me, it's equivilant to eating tic tacs without the benifit of the minty fresh breath, I don't even bother with the vicoden half the time because of its lack of effectiveness. I have tried to explain this to the doctor, but then I receive the lecture on the addictive nature of these "very strong narcotics" that I'm being given and then given the suggestion of taking 500mg tylenol. So instead of getting relief from the pain I am forced to endure most of it. And now the most recent problem I have encountered is that the surgeon is ignoring the fact that the mri says I have a torn acl and that I have symptoms pointing towards that as well and has decided to only repair the miniscus, this causes many worries for me about what will happen in the future if in fact it is torn or damaged and not repaired now, all those little what if's. So if anyone out there has finished reading this novel I've written and has any suggestions or wants to share their story ( it really does help just to get it all out), I would really appreciate feedback, comments or suggestions.
 01/24/2003 01:39 PM

Author Icon
sammy

Hello, my name is Samantha and I am from the cold state of MI. I tore my MCL last Summer while playing softball, I also stretched the ACL as well. The Dr. missed the ACL and I continued tp play softball this past summer. I played most of the season without any problems, (always wore a knee brace). Unfortunately, I twisted my knee doing the same exact movement I had done last year, and once again I went down with excruciating pain. I stretched the ACL more and tore the meniscus. I had orthoscopic surgery on the meniscus in October and ACL reconstruction 2 weeks ago. I was on crutches most of last Summer, and then on Crutches in the month of October and now still on crutches and very limited! I have to say that I have been going through many emotions. I'm 34 and have always been active playing softball, volleyball, tennis and bowling. At this time, I don't believe I will be playing softball or Volleyball anymore. (age, fear and hoping to become pregnat soon also play a part) It's been very frustrating! I have gained weight (lack of exercise) and miss playing my sports and now I feel very dependent on my new husband (just married in July) I have a long road to recovery and I am trying very hard to be patient. I too, take Vicodin every four hours or so. I will be starting physical therapy next week. It scares me when I have read how so many other people have retorn their ACL's. I don't ever want to go through this again! As you can tell, I'm in the feel sorry for me stage. My mood changes from day to day. I'm optomistic, than angry, than depressed. It helps to talk about what you're going through! These forums have been hepful. I started one - questions after surgery - and I am hoping to get some responses. I have responded to quite a few as I am doing with yours. I must say yours was the first one that asked about the emotional part of a knee injury. I was eager to respond. As you can see, depression does come along with the knee injuries but not many people talk about it. I am curious to what type of knee injury that you have? How does it limit you? Do you have support at home? I look forward to hearing from you - Take care!
 01/03/2003 12:40 PM

Author Icon
Sue3900

Has anyone had to cope with depression because of not being able to do the activity they once enjoyed? I am dealing with a left knee that is limiting me very much, I have a standing job and I am so uncomfortable it makes me angry and depressed. I also can't run which I once enjoyed and walking has been real slow because of the pain. I've had the knee scoped twice, and am scared to have major surgery. I take usually once vicodin a day which helps but drs. don't like prescribing it because of the possible addiction, but I don't know how I'd make it without the pain killer. Any advice, please e-mail at Thanks.

Bookmark and Share

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 Previous ]
View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 MedTech News
Tech & Innovation
Living With a Device
 Education Center
Diagnostic Tests
Conditions
Procedures
Women's Health
Companies
Online Resources
Video Library
Dr. Christopher Kwolek  MedTech  Hero™
Dr. Christopher Kwolek:
Pioneering New Blood Clot Treatments.
About Heroes
 Community
MedTech1 Forums
 Advocacy Center
Contact Congress
Find a Patient Group
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.

test