Medtech1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 MedTech News
Tech & Innovation
Living With a Device
 Education Center
Diagnostic Tests
Conditions
Procedures
Women's Health
Companies
Online Resources
Video Library
Dr. Christopher Kwolek  MedTech  Hero™
Dr. Christopher Kwolek:
Pioneering New Blood Clot Treatments.
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
MedTech1 Forums
 Advocacy Center
Contact Congress
Find a Patient Group
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
November 26, 2020  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: Ovarian Cysts
Created On: 07/05/2002 08:00 PM

01/02/2005 04:04 PM

Author Icon
Marian

I am 65 and also have crohn's disease and now for the past 12 months have had 2 ultra sounds showing left ovary has cysts that have grown on the second scan, Specalist is not keen to do the recommended surgery due to scar tissues and pins left in me from my bowel surgery.Stating the risk of bowel perferation is high. Advises me to have another ultra scan in 6 months.I feel concerned about ovarian cancer.What suggestions do you have for me to do now.Thank you Marian.
 09/24/2002 01:16 PM

Author Icon
DownEast

Most ovarian cysts go away on their own. Few ovarian cysts cause any symptoms. Quite likely what happened with your friend is that it was a simple cyst (also called a functional cyst) that ruptured during the procedure. You can find plenty of information on ovarian cysts in women of child bearing years and even in perimenopausal women with a google search on ovary cyst or ovarian cyst. Look for the HON code to ensure a reliable website when you go to any of the hits. Ovarian cysts in post menopausal women are the ones most difficult to find good reliable information on. But the info is there for them too if you are patient and just keep checking out the hits that google brings up.
 08/26/2002 09:48 AM

Author Icon
DownEast

Well, I've done a lot of searching on ovarian cysts since July 5th. I'm no expert but have pretty much found the information I need. MOST ovarian cysts in women of childbearing years are of little real concern. We form a cyst in the ovary during ovulation which goes on to develop an embryo if we are impregnated or that dissolve if we aren't impregnated during that cycle. If simple ovarian cysts are a problem in this group of women birth control pills often solve the problem. Most ovarian cysts don't cause symptoms of any kind. The "incidence" of ovarian cancer is actually VERY low - but it is also quite deadly since cancerous cysts are seldom found until late in their development when the cancer cells have had a chance to spread. The most worrisome cysts are those that are found in pre-menstrual girls and post menopausal women. Supposedly post menopausal women don't form ovarian cysts. But no one told about 10 per cent of post menopausal women's ovaries that. Even then the incidence of malignant ovarian cysts in that 10% is quite low but I've forgotten the percentages. The ultrasounds can usually detect a simple cyst from a dermoid cyst, etc. Not definitely but w/pretty good odds. If the ovarian cyst in a post menopausal woman appears to be a simple cyst (fluid filled, no matter or debris) the current recommended course of action is a repeated ultrasound in one month, three months, three months, six months and annually thereafer as long as there is no change in its size or appearance. The most common recommendation prior to this, and quite often even now, is a laparoscopy to actually draw a fluid sample from the simple cyst to determine if it is benign or malignant. Often during this procedure they can aspirate all the fluid causing the cyst to collapse and the cyst can then be removed thru the laparoscopy incision. The ovaries shrink after menopause, thus if an ovary can be palpated during a routine pelvic exam a CT scan or abdominal ultrasound will be ordered to check things out. If you've had children, especially multiple children, if you've been on birth control pills at any time during your child bearing years, your odds of ovarian cancer are reduced. Do a google search on ovary cyst or ovarian cyst. There's very little good information on ovarian cysts in women so be pepared to go thru a lot of hits before you get any really good information. There's plenty of info on ovarian cysts in women of child bearing age. Avoid the "naturalistic" type sites or at least take their info w/a great BIG grain of salt. Stick to reputable websites. Don't just accept what I've said as gosple. I'm working from memory and may not be totally accurate. Search and educate yourself. Your best source of reliable information is your doctor, especially a gyn. But, no doctor walks on water so it pays to educate yourself as well at reputable websites and even PubMed searches for medical journal abstracts thru the NIH Library of Medicine.
 08/26/2002 09:13 AM

Author Icon

I would also like info on ovarian cysts if anyone has some.
 08/15/2002 05:46 PM

Author Icon

I've never had an ovarian cyst, but a friend had severe pelvic pain that went away almost immediately during her diagnostic testing. They never determined for sure, but thought it may have been an ovarian cyst. I guess they're pretty painful, but do they cause a lot of damage? Can they be treated? If they just dissipate on their own, what can be done?
 07/05/2002 08:00 PM

Author Icon
DownEast

Ovarian cyst. 5 cm x 4 cm, post menapausal (10 years). Found on abdominal/pelvis CT scan for current symptoms attributed to known Crohn's disease. Intestinal & other findings normal but the 5cm x 4cm overian cyst was found. That works out to 2 inches by 1 1/2 inch in size. So just how worrisome is an ovarian cyst of this size in such a patien?. Symptoms were mild constipation (attributed to partial bowel obstruction at old bowel resection site), minor twinges of pain across the abdomen centered about the naval and in the lower left quadrant, bloating, especially after meals. All symptoms familiar to 20 years of living w/Crohn's. The normal bowel report from the scan and the ovarian cyst caught me by surprise. We were so sure it was the Crohn's, increased obstruction or bacterial overgrowth at the old resection & possible inflammation at a new site of Crohn's found 3 years ago and thought and hoped to be in remission. Now I see that ovarian cysts can cause similar symptoms. I'm assuming next step is a nuclear WBC scan for Crohn's inflammation ... but what about the ovarian cyst? Further tests for that? Sit back and adopt a wait & see?

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2020 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.