Medtech1.com: Great Information, Real Community, Better Living.
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 MedTech News
Tech & Innovation
Living With a Device
 Education Center
Diagnostic Tests
Conditions
Procedures
Women's Health
Companies
Online Resources
Video Library
Dr. Christopher Kwolek  MedTech  Hero™
Dr. Christopher Kwolek:
Pioneering New Blood Clot Treatments.
About Heroes
 Join the Discussion in  Our Forums
 Community
MedTech1 Forums
 Advocacy Center
Contact Congress
Find a Patient Group
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Search the Body1 Network
July 25, 2021  
FORUMS: Read-Only

>
Topic Title: SYN-VISC INJECTIONS FOR KNEES IN CHRONIC PAIN
Created On: 12/07/2002 06:00 PM

05/06/2005 05:40 PM

Author Icon
ursaminor

Hello my name is Nancy and I am 31. I have been in pain with my knees for 23 years. I have had many surgical procedures. I have osteoarthritis in both knees. I have tried all the taboo COX2 drugs without much relief. I have also tried just about every NSAID like Mobic, Daypro, Felden, and a few others. The only thing that these do is causing an upset stomach. Cortisone did not work either. I have also had a Mckay and Fulkersoms osteotomy with little results. I am just buying time until I am old enough to have a double knee replacement. To anyone who has the option of Hyalgan injections please consider it? Today was my second injection of Hyalgan. Like everyone I turned to this forum before my injections. The things that I read really made me nervous. The most common thing that I read was how painful these injections are. Well today was my second injection and it did hurt. I asked the doctor why did I feel more pain in my left knee when the needle was injected? He told me that with all of my surgeries that I have a lot of scar tissue that the needle has to break through. He told me that it is like going through leather. At that point it was perfectly clear why it hurts. My point is that if you have a lot of scar tissue it is going to hurt. The pain was not that bad. As for level of activity, I have scheduled all of my injections on a Friday. This is just because I work in a job where I sit for long periods of time. After my first injection I ran errands. I kept going for 8 hours before I sat down. I was careful not to do any heavy lifting or stair climbing. My attitude about the injections is that it is a better alternative to major surgery. In my case my insurance company picked up the 800.00 tab for the 6 injections. If I do see that it helps to manage my pain then I will not hesitate a minute to have it done again.
 05/06/2005 04:46 PM

Author Icon
marcial

Hi, I am trying to make up my mind about gettng the injections but I'd like a little bit more first hand information. What are some of the reactions patients have experienced? Has anyone ever had an allergic reaction? How soon after the injections do you know if it's going to work or not? Any idea about how long the relief from these injections may last? I'm such a wuss when it comes to injections (cortisone) in my knee, I think I'm trying to talk myself out of it. Thanks for any info you may have.
 04/18/2005 07:59 PM

Author Icon

My name is Nancy Girdner from Santa Clara, California, and I am a “young” 55 who also has osteoarthritis in both knees, as well as my feet. The luck of the draw or ‘roll of the dice’ was not what I’d asked for, but you just have to roll with the punches, and deal with the pain, and if you are fortunate enough to get the Syn-Visc knee injections, by all means, take them! They can be extremely painful shots, yet the year or so with pain free knees is so well-worth the shots! The series was given to me, for 21 days, once per week, a single shot of the gelatinous fluid into the joint of the left knee. The results were immediate, and I could go up and down my staircase without crying. The doctor decided to let me have the three shots in the other knee. I began the series of the six injections three years ago, and today I am having the series of shots again in my knees (this is my 4th year). They work well. They seem to work a full 12 months on me. Warning, if you are allergic to chicken, eggs or any chicken bi-products – do not get these shots. I am hoping to be able to have the shots work long enough so I will not have to have both knees replaced, which is what I’d have to have done, if it was not for Syn-Visc. Someday I hope they can graft cartilage or fill it in between the joint of the knee for me. So far, all of the medical miracles of the cartilage grafting or cartilage paste are not meant for knees in my condition. Treatment of arthritis in the developed world has focused on operative repair of severely arthritic joints, Synvisc is a miracle that staves off knee replacement, and hopeful until something can be developed that will grow new cartilage. Osteoarthritis is one of the most common diseases in the world today and the knee is among the most commonly involved joints, and can be one of the most serious affecting many aspects of an individual's quality of life. I find without the Synvisc injections I could have been living a sedentary lifestyle, and also medical facts have proven those with knee joint problems are more often obese. For myself I have found the best method for treating osteoarthritis of the knee, at this time, without performing surgery, has been the injectable medication Synvisc (the generic name is Hylan, and sold under the trade name "Synvisc"). This is some information for those of you who are interested. Hyaluronan is the name of the substance in Synvisc. Hyaluronan is secreted by cells in the cartilage of joints and is one of the major molecular components of joint fluid, and it gives the joint fluid, also called synovial fluid, its viscous quality. The high viscosity of synovial fluid allows for the cartilage surfaces of joints to glide upon each other in a smooth fashion. By injecting Synvisc in a knee, some people consider this a so-called joint lubrication. This is why you may hear of Syvisc as a 'motor oil' for the knee joint. Many studies on Synvisc have been performed in the past decade to assess the effectiveness of Synvisc as a treatment for osteoarthritis. However, I feel it is unfortunate that at this time, no clear understanding of how well Synvisc injections perform has emerged. So, I think in order to help each other, this page is a great idea to get the word out if Synvisc has worked for you or not. Sincerely, A Synvisc patient who is going on her fourth year of the six injections, and still have my real knees. Nancy Girdner Santa Clara, California Just For Fun ~ One Of The Web Pages Of Nancy Girdner: http://www.geocities.com/echobone/NANCY_GIRDNER.html
 06/08/2004 07:37 PM

Author Icon
kathleen123

Thank you for this discussion of your experiences with your knees. I have been debating whether to try this therapy, and you have given me enough insight to try. Thanks!
 12/16/2003 06:38 PM

Author Icon
Marlowe13675

I, too, have had the injections but I haven't been as fortunate as you. I still experienced pain even though it was gradual in its return. I had three rounds. Should I try again? I understand there are side effects with its use. Its also been about two years since my last shot.
 02/19/2003 09:33 PM

Author Icon
darski

had my first injection friday last week,it's like night and day have been pain free since Darryl Skivers
 12/07/2002 06:00 PM

Author Icon
loxbone

Syn-Visc Knee Injections: For Knees With Worn Out Cartilage And In Knees In Chronic Pain: POSTED BY NANCY GIRDNER OF SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA. Date Posted: Aug. 07, 2002 - 01:34:52 AM My name is Nancy Girdner and I am 52 years old. I've recently had the series of 3 Syn-Visc injections 7 days apart for the full 21 days in both my right and left knees. (I believe that this is the injection you have heard about). It comes from a chicken or rooster comb, and a person taking the series of injections (three injections per knee, seven days apart for 21 days) cannot be allergic to chicken. The results have been amazing (for me) and so much of the pain has subsided. (My bone hits bone in both knees). I personally feel so much better and the pain in my left knee actually appears to be gone! The right knee is a different story, and I don't feel that the problem I am presently having with it has anything to do with the Syn-Visc shots, nor the bone hitting bone in my right knee, due to so much surgically removed cartilage in the mid 1980's, nor the shot. (It was an auto accident on June 1st that re-injured the knee). I was told the effects of the series of shots may last from 6 to 12 months - but this is a relatively new procedure and we all have different systems. The FDA has only approved one series of shots per knee so far, but I know others who have had more that the one series of shots. I have heard of people getting the series of shots the first time and it lasting 6 months and that the second set of shots have lasted longer. My sports medicine doctor put it this way to me: He said that the injections themselves wear off in about one month - that is; the fluid that has been injected into the places in our knees under the viscous lining has actually left. What this fluid is supposed to do is trigger the cells in the knee area into what he called "Happy Cells" where they are triggered into producing something similar to the liquid content of the Syn-Visc injection itself. It is actually what our cells in our knees produce that keep the initial injection working to help reduce or alleviate the pain in the knees. I was told that the effects of the three injections in each knee might work from 6 months to one year. Please ask your doctor about the injection triggering the cells to produce a fluid similar to the shot and if this was the problem you had, as your shot series only lasted a couple of months. I have heard of many reactions to these shots, from no reaction to swelling, sore knees, fainting etc. My first shot of the series scared me half to death when I realized the doctor was going to approach it by sticking in the needle on the right side of the knee and leave the injection where the bone hits the bone on the left side of the knee. I asked to hold a towel to twist during the 12 to 16 second duration of the shot. I tried diaphragmatic breathing yet I began to see white spots before my eyes, getting bigger and bigger. This is like blacking out - but I called it "whiting out" as I see all white and feel like I am going to pass out. The doctor has a term called Vaso-Vagil that is exactly what happened to me. It is beginning to faint and lack of oxygen to the brain. I had this happen twice during the 6 shots. My third shot hurt badly that I wanted to scream. As soon as the needle was pulled out the doctor and I could see my knee puff up like a balloon. I had to wear an ice pack all night with an elastic bandage over it for the swelling. FYI: (For a perfect Knee Compress This is The Answer: Get a larger zip lock bag and fill it ¾ water to ¼ rubbing alcohol. Freeze it. It will be freezing yet will conform to you knee exactly, and then place the elastic bandage on it lightly to hold it in place. My sixth shot was excruciatingly painful. The entire shot during and after was so intense. I limped for 3 days after the injection, and could barely make it up the staircase, and could not straighten out my leg. This is my own thought, but I think that perhaps the needle penetrated a muscle or tendon or ligament or all three, on its way to the destination of the knee where he injected the Syn-Visc. I had a swollen knee, pain, and chills. I do not know if your 97-year-old mother will have a bad reaction, or not. It is a risk. In my opinion, for my last shot, and I am not a doctor, the needle may have penetrated another very sensitive part of the knee as it was going through the flesh inside the knee. I would not say it is a standard reaction, but a definitely dramatic adverse reaction. I had the 6 shots and almost fainted twice, had a huge swollen knee once, and an intensely painful knee once. So with the 6 shots I had 2 adverse reactions and 2 reactions where I had to lay down so I would not faint. Your reaction does not mean that you will have the same identical reaction each time. I am sure her doctor will ask her if she has any allergies to chicken or eggs, as the Syn-Visc is made from the comb of a chicken or a Rooster. If allergic to this fowl I imagine that your mother would have had a bad reaction after the very first shot. (If the doctor lets her have the shot at all). A male friend of mine, about 63 years old had the series and his lasted 6 months and he is planning another series of injections. He did not mention any adverse reactions. I also have a friend who 72 who just completed having 6 shots to both knees several months ago and is so much 'pain free' he is "as good as new" he stated to me. He plans to have the injections again when they wear off. He has been doing plumbing, flooring and carpentry that he could not possibly do prior to the shots. So I am still fearful of the shots and their reactions but I do plan to go through the procedure again when the pain returns. I am not a masochist and HATE pain but after all the suffering walking on knees that ached with every step, and now with 3 months of being nearly pain free, the shots were well worth the daily pain, and I am willing to take the risk of the shots and perhaps a reaction to them (as much as they scare me) in order to live a life for a few more months where I can walk with comfort and lead a better life. Good luck to you. Talk to her doctor! Sincerely, Nancy Girdner Santa Clara, California (Located In Silicon Valley) [email protected]

Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2021 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.