depression

< REFRESH >
Topic Title: depression
Created On: 07/19/2004 08:05 PM

View topic in raw text format.

Bookmark and Share

11/25/2004 11:10 AM

Author Icon

Hey I agree with not throwing in the towel, but I am not going to jeopardize or preempt my recovery by rushing it. There is a higher probability for re-injury when it is rushed, and I am not looking forward to a TKR or such. I also agree that the positives far outweigh the negatives in anything of life. My blood pressure dropped to 83/40 (I don’t remember if it was during or right after my surgery) so yes, it scared the he*l out of me, so I don’t want to go through this again, if I can help it. By the way, yes I too am glad to be breathing as well! Take care and good luck.
    REPLY     Quote     Top     Bottom    
 11/01/2004 12:46 PM

Author Icon
dan1773

SO WHO THREW IN THE CRYING TOWEL?? I'VE HAD A TKR AND TWO REVISIONS IN LESS THAN A YEAR. THE TKR IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE AN APPROXIMATE 15 YEAR LIFE. I BABIED THE FIRST PROCEDURE CUZ OF THE "15 YEAR WARRANTY",,, BUT NOW IT'S LIKE WHY WAIT! THE POSITIVE OUTWEIGHS THE NEGATIVE,, I'M JUST GLAD TO BE BREATHING, THERE'S SOME NOT SO LUCKY
 10/21/2004 07:05 AM

Author Icon

Thanks for the warning, I'll keep an eye out for the symptoms cause I definitely don't want to go back for a screw up. In the meantime, I am push myself to where I can tolerate it (with some pain ofcourse), and every time I try to push a little more. My whole thing is that I don't want my knee to stay stiff like it is now. It's fine when I am on the CPM machine, but now I just do the 3 sessions per day that my OS told me to. The 1st couple of days post-op, I had it on 24/7, cause it felt good. I understand that I can't be on it like that, but staying this way is out of the question for me. Take care and good luck.
 10/20/2004 05:30 PM

Author Icon
dan1773

everything you said is in the same line of thought as mine,, the political thing is just a joke ,,just like you said.. you're going into therapy,, let me warn you about the mis- belief some therapists use,, "no pain no gain". if you get one of those, watch out. my therapy last year, i believe, ruined my new knee. i did'nt know that being to agressive was'nt the right way. they were bending and twisting me so far that they actually ruined the tkr. on top of it, they had me doing the same stretches at home. i was doing these things to myself, because they told me to!!!! this new revision i got in june (04) my doc has'nt let me go back to therapy, so be wary , it could make a world of difference..... dan cromwell
 10/19/2004 11:15 PM

Author Icon

I was just joking about the whole election thing, but you are right about dealing with “D” and how serious it can be and for that I truly admire your spirit. The way I deal with things as they relate to “D” is to be appreciative of that I have (or can do) and what I don’t (or can’t do) – again, that’s just the the way I deal with it. This really helps to keep things in perspective. Sometimes I challenge myself on the areas that I have a problem accepting, but I have gained certain wisdom in choosing my battles. I think that any going without the medicinal aide is a step in winning, IMHO – but that’s just me. I really don’t like meds a lot, especially for any of the secondary effects they may have. I could not agree with you any more on it being just another fight. In fact, I thrive on it! This too is another way that I deal with my “D”. I acknowledge it, accept it, and take ownership, then I choose to either shelf it or toss it. I think that this step-by-step way of seeing “it” has helped me tremendously. I have also been fortunate enough for the aide of my wife, kids, family and friends. Now I just see my recovery as just another battle, which I will win. I just started my formal therapy sessions today, and I saw other people grinding their teeth as well as I did when I was doing my exercises (especially the assisted heel slides). However, in the back of my brain I felt some slight feeling about it, then just kept focused on my long term goal of being able to walk normally again, in whatever capacity I could, and I got through it, and in fact grinned all the way home. I also think that these forums provide a subtler venue to aiding us by allowing us our expression without judgment and I for one am grateful for it. In addition, thank you for your words, they really encourage me to also keep fighting and more importantly, that no one is ever alone. Take care and good luck.
 10/19/2004 08:48 PM

Author Icon
dan1773

the topic was supposed to be about depression, and i went on about everything but... i never believed in the word. never liked the word!! if not for my wife, i would'nt have been able to recognize and cope with it.. have'nt really accepted it totally ,but i'm not that big of a dummy. when you go from being in action and your whole world revolving being in the fore front ,, it really can shatter your whole world.. i thought it was a mind over matter kind of thing,,, i still deal with "D" on my own,, i refuse to take meds for it. i'm not losing, but i'm not winning either... it's something us week knee'd folks have to deal with... to me it's just another fight, and i really don't believe i'll be giving in any time soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dan cromwell
 10/19/2004 02:10 PM

Author Icon

I hope there is a slot on the ballot that says, "None of the above", but that's a different story altogether. I had an acl recon and partial meniscusectomy on the bill that I want to return to my regular lifestyle, including martial arts. My biggest preoccupation is that this surgery does not bring on a TKR down the line for me. So far, all the dislocated, fractured and broken bones has not seemed as permanent a problem as this might potentially be for me. Perhaps I am jumping the gun a bit, or a lot. However, it is a concern for me nonetheless. Perhaps I’ll stand a better chance with my knees than with these elections. Thanks a lot for the insight. Take care and good luck.
 10/19/2004 01:03 PM

Author Icon
dan1773

YOU'VE GOT REASON TO WORRY.. NOBODY APPRECIATES THEIR BODY PARTS UNTIL THEY'VE INJURED A FEW OF THEM.. AFTER HAVING GONE THROUGH 5-6 SURGERIES ON EACH KNEE,, LAST YEAR (5-30-03)I HAD A TKR ON MY RIGHT KNEE,,, ON 6-2-03, I HAD A REVISION PERFORMED ON THE SAME KNEE...I WENT THROUGH THERAPY FOR OVER 6 MONTHS AND ALL THE STINKING MEDICATIONS THAT GOE WITH THE RECOVERY. AND AFTER ALL OF THE WORK I DID ON MY OWN,, I ENDED UP HAVING ANOTHER REVISION ON 6-14-04... NO ONE KNOWS THE PAIN OF KNEE SURGERY BETTER THAN A PERSON WHO HAS HAD A TKR... IT IS SOME TERRIBLE PAIN FOR ROUGHLY 1-2 WEEKS,BUT YOU YOU DO GET MEDS FOR THAT,,,, I'M NOT TRYING TO SCARE YOU ,, YOU HAVE TO DECIDE IF YOU WANT TO LIVE IN PAIN FOREVER, BECAUSE THERE IS NO SELF CURE FOR BLOWN KNEES, OR TAKE A CHANCE THAT A REPLACEMENT WILL GIVE YOU BACK THE ABILITY TO BE ACTIVE AGAIN.. AND FOR A FACT,,, I WAS ACTIVE ALL OF MY LIFE,, REAL PHYSICAL,,, IT'S BEEN HARD TO ACCEPT THAT THERE WILL NOT BE ANYMORE RUNNING, CLIMBING, LONG DISTANCE WALKING, THE LIST WOULD GO ON A WAY,, BUT I'M NOT CRYING ABOUT IT,, I'M JUST GLAD TO BE WALKING AGAIN,, I MADE MY CHOICE AND WITH THE PROBLEMS I HAD AND STILL HAVE,,, I'D DO IT OVER AGAIN....IT'S ON THE SAME LEVEL AS VOTING FOR BUSH,, I DON'T LIKE THE GUY AT ALL,,,, BUT I'M GOING TO VOTE FOR HIM,, JUST BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT THE OTHER CHOICE IS... GOOD LUCK TO YOU.. DAN CROMWELL
 10/09/2004 08:33 AM

Author Icon

Hi, got to read your post, and while Ican truly sympathize with you, I can tell you that looking for a band aid is a quick fix. However, look at the root cause of your depression then proceed from there. I came to discover that my overeating disorder is brought on by anxiety attacks. I lost over 60 pounds with accupuncture, and once my wieght got to a moderestly comfortable level for me, I took up martial arts again (Until my recent injury). Depression is a state of mind, in my humble opinion, that many times can be brought on by ourselves, because of something or another. For example, after my injury, I started to feel everything spiral downward again, lack of exercise, weight gaining, depression and anxiety, etc. However, when I catch myself doing that, I refocus my energies into my long term goals, which means recupperating my leg, going back to martial arts and bringing balance back to my life. I understand that it will be a long and painful process (again mind set helps to minimize this too), but will be darned (for a lack of better words) to fail. I suggest you give it a try too. P.S. I am married with 3 small kids, and know well the pressures of family and married life, especially since I also work 2 jobs. Hope this helps. Take care and good luck.
 09/30/2004 09:14 AM

Author Icon
lifeovreilly

My friends go to me for advice all the time. I am 29, full time mother, full time employed, full time wife, and a crutch for my mom who seems to have problems with her health constantly. I gained 110 lbs with my daughter losing most with Weight Watchers (what a wonderful group!!!). I still had about 20-30 to lose when I fell on the ground right on both knee caps about 10 months ago. Slowly, my activities are being taken away by pain. I have been told I have Chrondomalacia Patella-Femoral; possible Meniscal Tear and severely damaged cartilage where I fell. My husband has been doing it all for our daughter and as much for me and the home as possible. But, I am depressed. I am officially on a leave of absence after having a Hylagan injection and not being able to walk (at all) for about 1.5 weeks, walker another 1- now. I have gone for a second opinion and they state not much to do. Physical Therapy. Etc. Arthoscope. I fear surgery (had bad gall bladder removal). I can't handle the pain. I want to be able to vaccuum, wash my daughter on my OWN KNEES, go dancing, go to a bar with friends and have a drink or two. Has anyone had to result to medication? Do I ask this of the Orthopedic?
 08/20/2004 09:02 PM

Author Icon

You're right; I don't think that this is a forum for judgment but rather for support. I think that every person who posts and writes on here, is also reaching out for whatever his/her reason. Sure any type of surgery is scary, but the consequences of not doing so could be worse in the long run. Perhaps your doctor could suggest looking into an endocrinologist or a dietician to help you help yourself. I’m only a regular person, but can tell you that reaching out is half the battle. You’ve already become aware of your weight problem, now work to do something about it. Certainly support is crucial, “no man (or woman) is an island” so look for the support and assistance of others to help you reach your goals. It seems that before you can go for the TKR, the doctor might be looking to stabilize your weight. Don’t feel depressed at times when I’ve been injured and out of sports, I have gained weight but use it as a means to get back on the horse. One time I even peaked to 275 and with some assistance, and my own hard work I lost 60 pounds. Don’t give up, keep fighting and know that there are people out there willing to help you. Good luck and take care.
 07/19/2004 08:05 PM

Author Icon
kitty456

I know I talk too much but this is the only place I can say anything and not be judged. I need knee replacement but I went through a nightmare with my back surgery and I'm scared to death. I'm very overweight and I know that will make recovery so much harder and painfull. I'm going to put surgery off as long as I can. Now my other knee is starting to deteriate. I am so depressed. Is there anyone out there that feels the way I do?

Bookmark and Share

View topic in raw text format.
< REFRESH >
 Register
 Login
 Main Page
 MedTech News
Tech & Innovation
Living With a Device
 Education Center
Diagnostic Tests
Conditions
Procedures
Women's Health
Companies
Online Resources
Video Library
Dr. Christopher Kwolek  MedTech  Hero™
Dr. Christopher Kwolek:
Pioneering New Blood Clot Treatments.
About Heroes
 Community
MedTech1 Forums
 Advocacy Center
Contact Congress
Find a Patient Group
 Bookmark Us

advertisement
Home About Us Press Jobs Advertise With Us Contact Us
advertisement
© 2019 Body1 All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this website is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for consultation with your physician or healthcare provider. The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the Owners and Sponsors of this site. By using this site you agree to indemnify, and hold the Owners and Sponsors harmless, from any disputes arising from content posted here-in.

test